In simple words it's digital extortion and is the fastest growing cyber threat for all businesses.
Ransomware can be hidden in emails and websites, once opened, your files become encrypted with a 'key' that only the attacker has access to. Ransomware is extremely dangerous as it can spread quickly and evolve to avoid security measures. Watch the video here.
How can it affect your business?
- Locking you out of your systems, data or information until you pay a ransom fee
- Disables functionality of your devices and systems, leaving you unable to do business
- It has a substantial cost impact - you could be locked out of your business until you pay a ransom, there is also no guarantee that the cyber criminal will unlock your business either
- Privacy of your employees or customers could be breached which could lead to loss of trust and reputation
Steps to keep you protected
- Keep your software and operating systems up to date - set them up so that they auto-renew
- Be wary of unexpected emails that contain strange links or attachments
- Complete regular back ups of your data and information to an external hard drive so you still have access in the event of a cyber attack
- Educate your staff on what to look out for and instruct them not to open links or emails that look suspicious