In simple words it's digital extortion and is the fastest growing cyber threat for all businesses.
Ransomware can be hidden in emails and websites, once opened, your files become encrypted with a 'key' that only the attacker has access to. Ransomware is extremely dangerous as it can spread quickly and evolve to avoid security measures.
How can it affect your business?
- Locking you out of your systems, data or information until you pay a ransom fee
- Disables functionality of your devices and systems, leaving you unable to do business
- It has a substantial cost impact - you could be locked out of your business until you pay a ransom, there is also no guarantee that the cyber criminal will unlock your business either
- Privacy of your employees or customers could be breached which could lead to loss of trust and reputation
Steps to keep you protected
- Keep your software and operating systems up to date - set them up so that they auto-renew
- Be wary of unexpected emails that contain strange links or attachments
- Complete regular back ups of your data and information to an external hard drive so you still have access in the event of a cyber attack
- Educate your staff on what to look out for and instruct them not to open links or emails that look suspicious